WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu  
Author Message
goodfotog





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 10:31:32 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu

Hello!

I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
item.

Does anyone know how to restore that?

Karsten

PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)

Windows Vista18  
 
 
Bill





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 10:31:32 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu WinZip doesn't suck. It does the job very well. I've been using it for
years. You just think it's ****because it costs money.




> Hello!
>
> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> item.
>
> Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> Karsten
>
> PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)
>


 
 
dean-dean





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 10:42:53 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu You might want to try repairing your .zip file association. Download and
Merge the .zip file extension fix for Windows Vista, found here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

When you right-click drag a .zip file, it should show "Extract...".



> Hello!
>
> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> item.
>
> Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> Karsten
>
> PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)
>

 
 
DanS





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 13:03:38 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

> WinZip doesn't suck. It does the job very well. I've been using it for
> years. You just think it's ****because it costs money.

Actually it does Bill......compared to WinRAR anyway.

If money's going to be spent, it should probably be on WinRAR, which
supports more compression formats natively, easily creates archive sets
with files each of a certain size, and also show the contents of the
compressed file in hierarchial form, rather than a large list, with a
'Path' column somewhere to the right.
 
 
brink





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 13:52:56 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu
Karsten Wutzke;416312 Wrote:
> Hello
>
> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (to
> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, th
> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to anothe
> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here
> item
>
> Does anyone know how to restore that
>
> Karste
>
> PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-

Hi Karsten

7-Zip is great free Zip program for both the x32 or x64 Vista. I
supports RAR too. You can take a look at it here

'7-Zip' (http://www.7-zip.org/

Shaw

--
brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.
_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
 
 
Joe





PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 19:01:46 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu


>> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
>> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
>> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
>> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
>> item.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to restore that?

> WinZip doesn't suck. It does the job very well. I've been using it for
> years. You just think it's ****because it costs money.

I would argue that it's still a good product, but the bang-per-buck has been
reduced significantly since Nico Mak sold it to a venture capital firm a few
years ago (it's now owned by Corel). With Nico out of the picture the
prices have gone up and the customer service quality has gone down.

Joe Morris


 
 
Ian





PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 03:04:14 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu





>
>>> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
>>> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
>>> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
>>> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
>>> item.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
>> WinZip doesn't suck. It does the job very well. I've been using it for
>> years. You just think it's ****because it costs money.
>
> I would argue that it's still a good product, but the bang-per-buck has
> been reduced significantly since Nico Mak sold it to a venture capital
> firm a few years ago (it's now owned by Corel). With Nico out of the
> picture the prices have gone up and the customer service quality has gone
> down.
>
> Joe Morris
>
>
There are so many good free one's out there that WinZip is redundant.

I use this one.

http://www.hide-link.com/

--
Ian

With patience there is always a way.

Please Reply to Newsgroup so all can read.
Requests for assistance by email can not and will be deleted.

 
 
Karsten





PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 13:03:58 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu
> Karsten Wutzke;416312 Wrote:
>
> > Hello!
>
> > I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> > much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> > inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> > directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> > item.
>
> > Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> > Karsten
>
> > PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)
>
> Hi Karsten,
>
> 7-Zip is great free Zip program for both the x32 or x64 Vista. It
> supports RAR too. You can take a look at it here:
>
> '7-Zip' (http://www.7-zip.org/)
>
> Shawn
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> _http://www.Vistax64.com(\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
> *Please post feedback to help others.*

OK, thanks for the answers. I'll try that. I think any commercial
ZIPPER sucks. Some years ago commercial ZIPPERs could be legitimated,
but today every buyer of such a product is plain st***. Personal
opinion (not my money anyway). -> I'd rather program my own zipper in
Java or such... ;-)

Thanks
Karsten

 
 
Karsten





PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 13:05:06 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu

> You might want to try repairing your .zip file association. Download and
> Merge the .zip file extension fix for Windows Vista, found here:
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
>
> When you right-click drag a .zip file, it should show "Extract...".
>

>

>
> > Hello!
>
> > I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> > much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> > inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> > directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> > item.
>
> > Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> > Karsten
>
> > PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)

Ah perfect.

Thanks!
Karsten

 
 
TheNetAvenger





PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 22:56:30 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu In the future when a 'crap' program screws up your system, and uninstalling
it doesn't fix what it screwed up, then that is the perfect time to use
System Restore and roll your computer back to before you installed the
'crap' software.

System restore only rolls back the programs and Vista settings, it doesn't
harm or change your documents that you created in the meantime. And in a
matter of a few minutes all the screwed up settings never happened. =)

Good Luck...



> Hello!
>
> I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> item.
>
> Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> Karsten
>
> PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)
>

 
 
Karsten





PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 04:18:26 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu

> In the future when a 'crap' program screws up your system, and uninstalling
> it doesn't fix what it screwed up, then that is the perfect time to use
> System Restore and roll your computer back to before you installed the
> 'crap' software.
>
> System restore only rolls back the programs and Vista settings, it doesn't
> harm or change your documents that you created in the meantime. And in a
> matter of a few minutes all the screwed up settings never happened. =)
>
> Good Luck...
>

>

>
> > Hello!
>
> > I installed WinZip recently, decided it was commercial "crap" (too
> > much money for a simple zipper) and removed it. Since then, the
> > inbuilt Vista ZIP context menu when dragging a ZIP file to another
> > directory with the right mouse button doesn't show the "Unzip to here"
> > item.
>
> > Does anyone know how to restore that?
>
> > Karsten
>
> > PS: Winzip sucks. </flame> ;-)

OK monday starts nicely:

The reg fix didn't do anything on my system. Is is compatible with
German Vistas?

I've also tried the system rollback to pre WinZip, but it failed due
to an unknown error.

I still have no solution. What else can I try?

Karsten

 
 
brink





PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 09:49:59 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu
Karsten Wutzke;418972 Wrote:
>
> OK monday starts nicely:
>
> The reg fix didn't do anything on my system. Is is compatible with
> German Vistas?
>
> I've also tried the system rollback to pre WinZip, but it failed due
> to an unknown error.
>
> I still have no solution. What else can I try?
>
> Karsten

Hi Karsten,

You might give option one a try here.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65254-zip-file-vista.html

Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
 
 
Karsten





PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 03:58:40 CDT 2007 Top

Windows Vista >> WinZip destroyed ZIP context menu
> Karsten Wutzke;418972 Wrote:
>
>
>
> > OK monday starts nicely:
>
> > The reg fix didn't do anything on my system. Is is compatible with
> > German Vistas?
>
> > I've also tried the system rollback to pre WinZip, but it failed due
> > to an unknown error.
>
> > I still have no solution. What else can I try?
>
> > Karsten
>
> Hi Karsten,
>
> You might give option one a try here.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65254-zip-file-vista.html
>
> Shawn
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> _http://www.Vistax64.com(\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
> *Please post feedback to help others.*

As much as I try, it doesn't work. I also tried the reg file a couple
of times. I still can't drag the zip with the right mouse button to
open the "unzip to here" context menu.

Did I try correctly? I used the start menu -> search -> files and
folders, this opened a window, and in this text field in the top right
corner I entered "cmd /c assoc .zip=CompressedFolder"?

It doesn't do anything though. It doesn't even seem do run for a
nanosecond.

Karsten