Internet Shortcuts (File Associations)  
Author Message
Obsrvr





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 05:14:58 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations)

Hello,
When clicking on a shortcut i/e www.slingo.com or any IE shortcut the print
window will appear
How would I get the shortcut to open in the program in which the shortcut
was made for.
WinXP SP2 Home
IE 7.0
TYIA for any help
I have already tried the following with no results.

Click Start, Run and type the following command and press Enter.

REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL

If that does not help, proceed further.


a.. Click Start, Run and type CONTROL INETCPL.CPL
b.. Click Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab
c.. Click Reset Web Settings button, press Yes
d.. Click OK and close the dialog
Robert Craig

Internet Explorer85  
 
 
Don





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 05:14:58 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Hi,
First, is IE the default browser in Add or remove programs> Set program
access and defaults?

Next, I would uninstall IE7, restart twice, then reinstall IE7 with
antivirus (and other programs which might interfere with installation) shut
down.

See install/uninstall tips at http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

If the problem persists, check the file association for Internet Shortcut.

Settings for Internet Shortcut> Open> Edit, should be:

"Application used to perform this action" should read:
rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

DDE Message:
empty

Application:
ieframe

DDE Application Not Running:
empty

Topic:
System
- - - - -
Don
[MS MVP- IE]



> Hello,
> When clicking on a shortcut i/e www.slingo.com or any IE shortcut the
print
> window will appear
> How would I get the shortcut to open in the program in which the shortcut
> was made for.
> WinXP SP2 Home
> IE 7.0
> TYIA for any help
> I have already tried the following with no results.
>
> Click Start, Run and type the following command and press Enter.
>
> REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
>
> If that does not help, proceed further.
>
>
> a.. Click Start, Run and type CONTROL INETCPL.CPL
> b.. Click Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab
> c.. Click Reset Web Settings button, press Yes
> d.. Click OK and close the dialog
> Robert Craig

 
 
Frank





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 05:17:27 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations)

> Hello,
> When clicking on a shortcut i/e www.slingo.com or any IE shortcut the
> print window will appear
> How would I get the shortcut to open in the program in which the shortcut
> was made for.
> WinXP SP2 Home
> IE 7.0
> TYIA for any help
> I have already tried the following with no results.
>
> Click Start, Run and type the following command and press Enter.
>
> REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
>
> If that does not help, proceed further.
>
>
> a.. Click Start, Run and type CONTROL INETCPL.CPL
> b.. Click Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab
> c.. Click Reset Web Settings button, press Yes
> d.. Click OK and close the dialog
> Robert Craig
>

What if instead of www.slingo.com you use http://www.slingo.com ?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve
neither liberty or security"


 
 
Kai





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 07:03:56 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Robert craig schrieb am Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:56:35 GMT:

> When clicking on a shortcut i/e www.slingo.com or any IE shortcut the print
> window will appear

Right-click the shortcut and look what the default action is (it's bolded). Is
it by chance "Print"?

Kai
--
Antwort bitte nur in die Newsgroup! Danke!
Kleindeutsch? Les ich nicht, sorry.
Hilfen zu Windows und OE: http://www.mvps.org & http://oe-faq.de
Hilfen zu IE: http://iefaq.info & http://misitio.ch & http://patch-info.de

 
 
Robert





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 12:49:39 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Thanks for you help. Still the same.

Robert




> Robert craig schrieb am Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:56:35 GMT:
>
>> When clicking on a shortcut i/e www.slingo.com or any IE shortcut the
>> print
>> window will appear
>
> Right-click the shortcut and look what the default action is (it's
> bolded). Is
> it by chance "Print"?
>
> Kai
> --
> Antwort bitte nur in die Newsgroup! Danke!
> Kleindeutsch? Les ich nicht, sorry.
> Hilfen zu Windows und OE: http://www.mvps.org & http://oe-faq.de
> Hilfen zu IE: http://iefaq.info & http://misitio.ch & http://patch-info.de
>


 
 
Kai





PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 16:20:54 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Robert craig schrieb am Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:49:39 GMT:

> Thanks for you help. Still the same.

Well, would you kindly answer my question?

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

 
 
Robert





PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 15:41:48 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) PRINT




> Robert craig schrieb am Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:49:39 GMT:
>
>> Thanks for you help. Still the same.
>
> Well, would you kindly answer my question?
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info
>


 
 
Robert





PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 15:50:48 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) I had "Avant Browser" on my computer which I used for a couple of weeks and
then uninstalled it.
I thought about this and installed it again.
Problem solved.
Thank you very much for your help but I still don't know why it opened the
print window when I clicked on the shortcut.
I guess I will have to keep using "Avant"

Robert


> PRINT
>
>


>> Robert craig schrieb am Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:49:39 GMT:
>>
>>> Thanks for you help. Still the same.
>>
>> Well, would you kindly answer my question?
>>
>> Kai
>> --
>> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
>> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info
>>
>
>


 
 
Kai





PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 17:31:19 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Robert craig schrieb am Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:41:48 GMT:

> PRINT

As I predicted. Just change the default action to open and you're done.
Wasn't that obvious?

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

 
 
Kai





PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 17:31:19 CDT 2006 Top

Internet Explorer / IE >> Internet Shortcuts (File Associations) Robert craig schrieb am Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:50:48 GMT:

> Thank you very much for your help but I still don't know why it opened the
> print window when I clicked on the shortcut.

Well, if you see that "Print" is bolded on the context menu and you get a
print dialog when you click an internet shortcut, doesn't this get your brain
rolling?

It's obviously your Avant browser that was responsible for this. It probably
removed the default action when you uninstalled it and so the remaining
action had to take over. Very bad style for an uninstaller.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info