Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory  
Author Message
RichardSteele





PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 07:16:00 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory

Hello.

In the coming months we plan to raise our domain and forest functionality
from mixed mode to native in windows 2003 and also we want to do the same
thing to our exchange organization.

We did the migration from 5.5 to 2003 last year, was a semi-painful situation
but now we are loving exchange.

But some mistakes of ignorance are still visible in our exchange organization,
beginning with the old server which are still visible & registered in the org.

Actually we have 2 Exchange 5.5 and 2 Exchange 2003 which we don't have online
anymore.
[img] http://www.hide-link.com/ [/img]

In this picture you can see clearly. Let me talk about the history between
everyone

SVREXCH00......This was our first and principal 5.5 Exchange server (who was
a cluster).
EXCHANGE3......This was our SMPT 5.5 server.
SVREXCON.......This was a 2003 exchange which configured as ADC (agreement
connection between 5.5 and 2003).
SVREXIMC.......In the process of the migration out ADC failed so we created
this new one.

All of these servers are not anymore in the network, old boxes in the time
when we was finishing the migration
they're failed one by one, one after another...

So outside in the net there's a lot of info concerning of how to remove the
last or the first exchange 5.5 server or 2003
but are very limited, all of their talk about as if we still have the
servers for remove the application but we don't.

So I asking for information of how to do this job.

I'm still searching the web for anything that I could use.

Regards

Exchange Server34  
 
 
Nehemoth





PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 07:16:00 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory I could easyly remove the 2003 servers with a right click an remove, but with
the 5.5 servers is a diferent story, I don't have that option available.

I have some event Id's concerning this problem

Event ID 9318
An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality
Table (LTAB) index: 139, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722,
Bind error 0, Remote Server Name SVREXCH00 [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)

An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality
Table (LTAB) index: 136, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722,
Bind error 0, Remote Server Name EXCHANGE3 [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)


Also I can see this info in the Active Directory Sites and Services if I
choose The Show Service Node
Expand Services > Microsoft Exchange > Active Directory Connection
[img]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1633/exchangeactivedirectoryje2.jpg[/img]

I believe I should Delete the Agreement Connection Which was created twice.

and the servers which can be seen
expand Services > Microsoft Exchange > Organization Name > Administrative
Groups > Administrative Group Name > Server
[img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7084/exchangeserversactivedirt9.jpg[/img]



> Hello.
>
> In the coming months we plan to raise our domain and forest functionality
> from mixed mode to native in windows 2003 and also we want to do the same
> thing to our exchange organization.
>
> We did the migration from 5.5 to 2003 last year, was a semi-painful situation
> but now we are loving exchange.
>
> But some mistakes of ignorance are still visible in our exchange organization,
> beginning with the old server which are still visible & registered in the org.
>
> Actually we have 2 Exchange 5.5 and 2 Exchange 2003 which we don't have online
> anymore.
> [img]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4176/exchangeorgex2.jpg[/img]
>
> In this picture you can see clearly. Let me talk about the history between
> everyone
>
> SVREXCH00......This was our first and principal 5.5 Exchange server (who was
> a cluster).
> EXCHANGE3......This was our SMPT 5.5 server.
> SVREXCON.......This was a 2003 exchange which configured as ADC (agreement
> connection between 5.5 and 2003).
> SVREXIMC.......In the process of the migration out ADC failed so we created
> this new one.
>
> All of these servers are not anymore in the network, old boxes in the time
> when we was finishing the migration
> they're failed one by one, one after another...
>
> So outside in the net there's a lot of info concerning of how to remove the
> last or the first exchange 5.5 server or 2003
> but are very limited, all of their talk about as if we still have the
> servers for remove the application but we don't.
>
> So I asking for information of how to do this job.
>
> I'm still searching the web for anything that I could use.
>
> Regards
 
 
Nehemoth





PostPosted: Mon Jan 28 07:26:00 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory Somebody has an answer for me?.

I hope to find something in the net before call microsoft
 
 
Rich





PostPosted: Mon Jan 28 20:23:14 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory

[ snip ]

>So I asking for information of how to do this job.
>
>I'm still searching the web for anything that I could use.

You could, if you don't have it already, install the Exchange 5.5
admin tools and remove the server from the SRS (the Exchange 2000/2003
equivilant of the Exchange 5.5 directory). After you delete the server
the ADC should replicate that deletion to the Configuration container
in the AD.

If you no longer have the ADC it might be easier to reinstall it than
to use ADSIEDIT to remove the pieces from the AD.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


 
 
Rich





PostPosted: Mon Jan 28 20:24:46 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory

>I could easyly remove the 2003 servers with a right click an remove, but with
>the 5.5 servers is a diferent story, I don't have that option available.
>
>I have some event Id's concerning this problem
>
>Event ID 9318
>An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality
>Table (LTAB) index: 139, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722,
>Bind error 0, Remote Server Name SVREXCH00 [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)

That looks like an event from the MTA. It's not harming anything, just
telling you it can't bind to the other machine.


--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


 
 
Nehemoth





PostPosted: Tue Jan 29 09:36:01 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory First thank you Rich for the answer.

So in esence you are telling me that I just need to install the Exchange 5.5
admin tools in
a new machine or one that exist in the old domain (those servers are from
our old NT domain)
and from there up the SRS and delete it from there?

Also I suppossed that I should delete the connectors agreement from the
sites & services?

Regards and excuse me my poor english




>
> [ snip ]
>
> >So I asking for information of how to do this job.
> >
> >I'm still searching the web for anything that I could use.
>
> You could, if you don't have it already, install the Exchange 5.5
> admin tools and remove the server from the SRS (the Exchange 2000/2003
> equivilant of the Exchange 5.5 directory). After you delete the server
> the ADC should replicate that deletion to the Configuration container
> in the AD.
>
> If you no longer have the ADC it might be easier to reinstall it than
> to use ADSIEDIT to remove the pieces from the AD.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


>
 
 
Rich





PostPosted: Tue Jan 29 19:14:45 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory

>So in esence you are telling me that I just need to install the Exchange 5.5
>admin tools in
>a new machine or one that exist in the old domain (those servers are from
>our old NT domain)

Yes. The 5.5 admin program can connect to any Exchange directory.

>and from there up the SRS and delete it from there?

The SRS is the only vestige of the 5.5 directory you have left. :-)

The ADC's configuration connection agreement will replicate the
removal of the server and its associated objects (like directory
connectors) to the AD.

>Also I suppossed that I should delete the connectors agreement from the
>sites & services?

The ADC connection agreements? They shouldn't be a problem after you
finish removing the 5.5 servers and uninstalling the ADC.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


 
 
Nehemoth





PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 07:42:01 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory Hello Rich

I believe I misunderstood the first time.

Anyway I installed a Machine in our old domain, Installed The Exchange 5.5
Administrator Tools and Later the service Pack, But when I choose to connect
to and old server (the dead ones) the server obviously couldn't be found.

I also found this info which I don't know if will be relevant to me
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124572(EXCHG.65).aspx

Maybe I should call Microsoft.




>
> >So in esence you are telling me that I just need to install the Exchange 5.5
> >admin tools in
> >a new machine or one that exist in the old domain (those servers are from
> >our old NT domain)
>
> Yes. The 5.5 admin program can connect to any Exchange directory.
>
> >and from there up the SRS and delete it from there?
>
> The SRS is the only vestige of the 5.5 directory you have left. :-)
>
> The ADC's configuration connection agreement will replicate the
> removal of the server and its associated objects (like directory
> connectors) to the AD.
>
> >Also I suppossed that I should delete the connectors agreement from the
> >sites & services?
>
> The ADC connection agreements? They shouldn't be a problem after you
> finish removing the 5.5 servers and uninstalling the ADC.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


>
 
 
Rich





PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 19:50:28 CST 2008 Top

Exchange Servers Admin >> Exchange : Removing Dead Server in Active Directory

>Anyway I installed a Machine in our old domain, Installed The Exchange 5.5
>Administrator Tools and Later the service Pack, But when I choose to connect
>to and old server (the dead ones) the server obviously couldn't be found.

Connect to the machine that's running the SRS. You shouldn't have to
install any 5.5 servers, just the admin tools for 5.5 from the E2K3
CD.

>I also found this info which I don't know if will be relevant to me
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124572(EXCHG.65).aspx

Strange title for instructions that just disable the SRS. :-) But the
parts that tell you to remove the 5.5 servers from the 5.5 directory
maintained by the SRS are correct.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm