Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0  
Author Message
mark_kramarczyk





PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 01:55:18 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0

This course of action has been recommended in recent posts, and I'd like to
know:
- are existing applications likely to be seriously impacted?
- how much it would cost for a one-terminal upgrade?
- would an upgrade price still be offered? or would it be full price?
- how much for a 5-pack? (if that's what it's called)
- where would one obtain the upgrade?
I'm not asking anyone to recommend a vendor publicly, so if you want to
contact me outside this newsgroup, that's ok.
Peter

Exchange Server22  
 
 
Dan





PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 01:55:18 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 This is a mixed bag. See below.


> This course of action has been recommended in recent posts, and I'd
> like to know:
> - are existing applications likely to be seriously impacted?

It depends. The compiler got a little more attentive with each release, so
you may have to adjust a few things. In 9 there are settings that can
forestall some of those changes but you should probably just make the
changes and get it over with. They are mostly trivial syntax changes. You
may or may not be affected. It depends on the code you're compiling.

Of course, as always, VFP will generate an .ERR file that will tell you
where the problems are when you try to compile. It gives you a list of
things to do.

> - how much it would cost for a one-terminal upgrade?
> - would an upgrade price still be offered? or would it be full price?
> - how much for a 5-pack? (if that's what it's called)

There has never been a 5-pack for Foxpro. You're thinking about dBase
LAN-packs.

When you purchase the professional edition of VFP you can compile
executables with unllimited distribution rights.

If you're running the development version of VFP on each workstation, you
have other issues that you likely don't need (and that are likely illegal),
but you should talk to a salesperson at Microsoft to find out what your
upgrade path/costs will be.

Dan


 
 
Bernhard





PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 06:47:38 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 Hi Dan,

> There has never been a 5-pack for Foxpro.
That's true, it was a 6-pack for IIRC Foxpro 2.6 ;-) as an upgrade for the
unlimited Foxpro 2.5.

Regards
Bernhard Sander
 
 
Dan





PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 16:00:42 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 That was an IDE (or developer version) upgrade, wasn't it?

I'm happy to be wrong, but I don't ever remember a limit on runtime
distribution.

Dan


> Hi Dan,
>
>> There has never been a 5-pack for Foxpro.
> That's true, it was a 6-pack for IIRC Foxpro 2.6 ;-) as an upgrade
> for the unlimited Foxpro 2.5.
>
> Regards
> Bernhard Sander


 
 
Bernhard





PostPosted: Sun Jul 23 03:39:51 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 Hi Dan,

> That was an IDE (or developer version) upgrade, wasn't it?
Yes, something like that... Years ago...

Regards
Bernhard Sander
 
 
Peter





PostPosted: Sun Jul 23 14:51:25 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 To answer my own question, I found a microsoft site (not easy) called:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/howtobuy/default.aspx
and learned that:
- VFoxpro 6.0 does qualify for an upgrade price
- the upgrade price is $349
- the regular price is $649
- it can be ordered direct from microsoft or through a retailer such as CDW.
(I haven't pursued that yet).
- I didn't see anything about a volume discount.

I do remember about 4 years ago my client bought 5 copies of the full
VFoxpro 6.0 for a somewhat discounted price from a retailer.


 
 
tony_becky_mikey_verizon_news





PostPosted: Sun Jul 23 15:02:08 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 And I will ask, why is a person wanting to START a development project in
VFP? Even VFP 6???? Isn't VFP 7.0 the oldest supported version of VFP???




> To answer my own question, I found a microsoft site (not easy) called:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/howtobuy/default.aspx
> and learned that:
> - VFoxpro 6.0 does qualify for an upgrade price
> - the upgrade price is $349
> - the regular price is $649
> - it can be ordered direct from microsoft or through a retailer such as
> CDW. (I haven't pursued that yet).
> - I didn't see anything about a volume discount.
>
> I do remember about 4 years ago my client bought 5 copies of the full
> VFoxpro 6.0 for a somewhat discounted price from a retailer.
>
>


 
 
Peter





PostPosted: Mon Jul 24 00:01:04 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 I thought this was a Foxpro newsgroup. Let's stay upbeat here.



> And I will ask, why is a person wanting to START a development project in
> VFP? Even VFP 6???? Isn't VFP 7.0 the oldest supported version of VFP???


 
 
Craig





PostPosted: Mon Jul 24 09:33:57 CDT 2006 Top

Exchange Servers >> Upgrading from 6.0 to 9.0 Volume discounts are available, but you need to sign up for some type of
volume purchase agreement that covers more products than just VFP. See
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/default.mspx

--
Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP
www.craigberntson.com
Salt Lake City Fox User Group
www.slcfox.org
www.foxcentral.net




> To answer my own question, I found a microsoft site (not easy) called:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/howtobuy/default.aspx
> and learned that:
> - VFoxpro 6.0 does qualify for an upgrade price
> - the upgrade price is $349
> - the regular price is $649
> - it can be ordered direct from microsoft or through a retailer such as
> CDW. (I haven't pursued that yet).
> - I didn't see anything about a volume discount.
>
> I do remember about 4 years ago my client bought 5 copies of the full
> VFoxpro 6.0 for a somewhat discounted price from a retailer.
>
>