Interface in Polish  
Author Message
Ana Maria Bisbe





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Hi everyone:
I'm developing an multilanguage application. Till now, we were working with: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (both, also Brasilian Portuguese) and Romanian.
Everything runs well, but I can't manage with some Polish characters.
The captions are stored in tables DBF, which were populated from Excel files. As soon as information is imported from Excel to VFP DBF file, the Polish character (something between e and c) is substituted by e.
What should I do Do you have any advice for me
Thank you !!

--
Regards,
Ana
Madrid, Spain
www.amby.net



Visual FoxPro1  
 
 
David Frankenbach





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Ana,

Which characters specifically are you having troubles with (you can use the asc() function to let us know the characters) What font are you using to display the data Are you using a Polish version of Windows



 
 
Ana Maria Bisbe





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Hi David:

The characters are

I was trying with several font types including "Polish".

I'm using Spanish version of Windows, but the software was tested for different versions of Windows languages and it runs well.

The tables, that I'm using for showing the captions are populated from Excel files, the table for Polish is wrong. There aren't the charactes , there are characters a and e

I was trying just to cut and paste from Excel file to VFP comand windows and I lose the special characters.

Thank you for your interest,

Regards,

Ana

www.amby.net

www.PortalFox.com



 
 
David Frankenbach





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Ana,

are outside the characters chr(0) to chr(255). I suspect that the data in the clipboard is Unicode data, and the VFP fonts don't directly support unicode. VFP doesn't even seem to handle Unicode data in the clipboard at all. When I use the Windows charmap utility to copy to the clipboard and _cliptext I get which is a sure sign the VFP has mangled the Unicode data. Have you tried to use an IMPORT command to read the spreadsheet You can use Excel automation read the cell contents as well.



 
 
Ana Maria Bisbe





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Hi:

The ASC of character is U+0119. I can't reproduce it in VFP, not changing the FontChartSet property, neither changing the code page to 1250.

I tried with STRCONV(), but the results are characters a and e.

As you said, if I cut and Paste to VFP the results are " "

I tried to import, but the results are characters a and e.

I'm still looking for the solution.

Thank you,

Regards,

Ana

Madrid, Spain

www.amby.net

www.PortalFox.cm



 
 
David Frankenbach





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Ana,

I tried some tests tonight with my English version of Excel. A .XLS file doesn't have any problems with the Unicode data. If I save it out as CSV the characters are mangled to inside the CSV file itself. VFP can not do a read of the Unicode data across the COM boundary with code like this:

oExcel = createobject( "excel.application" )
oExcel.Workbooks.Open( "C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\testunicode.xls" )
oSheet = oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet
oSheet.Rows(1).Columns(1).Value & I see a e
lcX = oSheet.Rows(1).Columns(1).Value
strconv( lcX, 15 ) && 61 20 65 = a e not the correctly accented characters

osheet = .null.
oexcel.Quit()
oexcel = .null.

But if you tell Excel to SaveAs HTML it'll push the data out as HTML escape sequences like & # 2 6 1 ; (spaces added so this site doesn't display the escape sequence) which you could pull into VFP and grab the 261 value and create a lookup table to get the right character for the desired code page. Sorry it's not a prettier solution.



 
 
Ana Maria Bisbe





PostPosted: Visual FoxPro General, Interface in Polish Top

Hi David:

Thanks for your help. I wasn't able to reproduce your idea. I save the Excel document as HTML and then I found the sequences, but after that, I couldn't see the Polish characters

I'm not sure, but, seems to be that the problem is between Visual FoxPro codepage and Windows Codepage. Visual FoxPro doesn't runs for Polish language by default, but, we can change the Windows system code page (Control Panel - Regional Settings - Advanced)

I've changed Windows codepage of my PC, then reboot (Windows system was running in Polish language).
Then I imported from Excel file to DBF file, just import, nothing more, and I got the information in real Polish language.

Then I tested the app and it ran properly. ... properly for Polish, but wrong for French and Portuguese.

Then I've changed Windows codepage again, and the expressions were wrong again, ... ok, for me, but people from Poland are running Polish Windows, and for them
the app runs well.

I have one table for language.

I'll continue the research.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards

Ana