convert a non-partitioned tables into partitioned  
Author Message
bullant





PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 22:49:02 PST 2007 Top

SQL Server Developer >> convert a non-partitioned tables into partitioned

Hi,

we have a large database containing many tables and lots of data. now
because of the number of records we decided to use partitions.
for this we have created partition function and partition scheme. the
problem is : How can we convert non-partitioned table into
partitioned one according to a partition scheme?

in the documentation it introduced 2 methods but I don't know are the
usable or not? if they are, how can I use them?

Thanks a lot,
Ali

SQL Server59  
 
 
BenNevarez





PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 22:49:02 PST 2007 Top

SQL Server Developer >> convert a non-partitioned tables into partitioned
After you create a partition function and a partition scheme you can
partition an existing table by dropping its clustered index and creating this
clustered index again on the partition scheme.

Hope this helps,

Ben Nevarez
Senior Database Administrator
AIG SunAmerica





> Hi,
>
> we have a large database containing many tables and lots of data. now
> because of the number of records we decided to use partitions.
> for this we have created partition function and partition scheme. the
> problem is : How can we convert non-partitioned table into
> partitioned one according to a partition scheme?
>
> in the documentation it introduced 2 methods but I don't know are the
> usable or not? if they are, how can I use them?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ali
>
 
 
Uri





PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 23:28:54 PST 2007 Top

SQL Server Developer >> convert a non-partitioned tables into partitioned Ali
http://blogs.msdn.com/craigfr/archive/2006/11/27/introduction-to-partitioned-tables.aspx
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-server-2005/partitioned-tables-in-sql-server-2005/







> Hi,
>
> we have a large database containing many tables and lots of data. now
> because of the number of records we decided to use partitions.
> for this we have created partition function and partition scheme. the
> problem is : How can we convert non-partitioned table into
> partitioned one according to a partition scheme?
>
> in the documentation it introduced 2 methods but I don't know are the
> usable or not? if they are, how can I use them?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ali


 
 
Ali





PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 05:18:39 PST 2007 Top

SQL Server Developer >> convert a non-partitioned tables into partitioned thanks but the clustered index is the primary key and there are some
foreign keys which are dependent on this one so it can't be droped.
and the base field which the table is going to be partitioned on that
is not primary key.

and also when creating a table if we do not have primary key , it
accepts the "ON PartitionScheme(FieldName)" but whenever we have
primary key then it says it is created on [primary] istead of the
partition scheme provided.

by the way, the field which the table is going to be partitioned based
on it is a foreign key.

Thanks again,
Ali



ons.microsoft.com>

> After you create a partition function and a partition scheme you can
> partition an existing table by dropping its clustered index and creating t=
his
> clustered index again on the partition scheme.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ben Nevarez

> Senior Database Administrator
> AIG SunAmerica
>
>
>

> > Hi,
>
> > we have a large database containing many tables and lots of data. now
> > because of the number of records we decided to use partitions.
> > for this we have created partition function and partition scheme. the
> > problem is : How can we convert =C2=A0non-partitioned table into
> > partitioned one according to a partition scheme?
>
> > in the documentation it introduced 2 methods but I don't know are the
> > usable or not? if they are, how can I use them?
>
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Ali- =D9=85=D8=AE=D9=81=DB=8C =DA=A9=D8=B1=D8=AF=D9=86 =D9=85=D8=AA=D9=
=86 =D8=B9=D9=84=D8=A7=D9=85=D8=AA =D8=B2=D8=AF=D9=87 -
>
> - =D9=86=D9=85=D8=A7=D9=8A=D8=B4 =D9=85=D8=AA=D9=86 =D9=86=D9=82=D9=84 =D9=
=82=D9=88=D9=84 =D8=B4=D8=AF=D9=87 -